Museum Highlights

 

 

The Museum's History 

The museum building was built circa 1862 as the home of Dr. John S. Law, father of Loveland's first mayor. It is Italianate - a popular architectural style in the Victorian era. The estate originally contained 97 acres. The spectacular; view of the Scenic Little Miami River may have prompted the name "Bonaventure", which means good fortune. In early 1900 the estate was subdivided by the Hubbell family. The building had several owners, including The Cincinnati Automobile Club, which used it for a clubhouse and restaurant. About 1930 Dr. Frank Lever, a popular Loveland physician, bought the house. He and his family lived there for many years. The American Legion purchased the house and used it as their headquarters for over 20 years. A gift from C. Roger Nisbet enabled the Greater Loveland Historical Society to buy it in 1982. The museum was opened to the public on July 7, 1984.

The museum is open to the public, year round 1:00 to 4:30

Saturday & Sunday, Weekdays by appointment. 

Admission and parking are free; donations are gratefully accepted.

The museum is handicap accessible and membership is open to everyone.

 

 

 

The Museum Today  

 

Using period furnishings, photos, maps, prints, and artifacts, the Museum paints a vivid picture of Loveland's long and interesting history. The region's historic Indian tribes, the first pioneers, the arrival and growth of railroads, the Underground Railroad, and the process of Loveland's growth as a suburb and a city are all illustrated on a Time Line, in addition to permanent and rotating exhibits.

 

The Front Parlor

The front parlor has been furnished with period furnishings from Loveland homes, donated by friends and members of the Historical Society. One of the most unusual pieces is the cranberry chandelier that was once in Solomon's Temple, the home of James and Nancy Ford Cones. The needlepoint chairs are also from the Cones estate; the Hunt Board and clock belonged to the Lever family; the settee and arm chair came from the Coleman Family.

 

Early 1900's Kitchen

The kitchen represents a time before electricity was installed. It is furnished with a Cook Stove that could be fueled with wood or coal; a pie safe with punched tin panels which kept the "critters" out while letting air in, therefore it kept pies and other baked good safe; a coffee grinder, butter churn and various other kitchen "tools" used in years past. The unusual wooden washing machine has a large wheel for turning the clothes; considered quite modern in its time. The 1920's refrigerator or ice box is on loan from a member.

 

Other interesting objects (of note):

Victorian Bookcase: The bookcase once belonged to the Lever Family. It is now used for rotating displays.

The Loveland Time Line contains photographs and documents tracing Loveland's history from the time of its settling in 1795 to the present.

The 25th Anniversary Time Line

This was completed in 2000 in celebration of the Historical Society's 25th Anniversary.  It depicts the 25 years of the society's history from 1975 with pictures, news clips, etc."

The Mill Model was donated by the Ohio Historical Society. Loveland once boasted a mill along the Little Miami River, which was washed away in the 1913 flood. This model was constructed about 50 years ago and recently refurbished.

Stanton Brock Gallery

Named for the late Stanton G. Brock, life member and museum benefactor, the gallery contains rotating exhibits which vary from art work to Civil War, to textiles, to collections and treasures of members. Many of the items on display are on loan from members or friends of the museum.

 

 

Second Floor, Bedroom

The Victorian Bedroom furniture is from the Buob Family and was donated by life member, Helen Smith. The three piece set is dark walnut, intricately carved. The "clothes press" or armoire was used before large closets were built into homes. Other interesting pieces include a "potty chair" used before indoor plumbing, an antique wash stand with ceramic pitcher and wash basin and a selection of antique toys.